Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Follow up ...

I found myself back at the walk-in clinic. The doctorB armed with the results from my blood work. We looked through them together. Generally I was in good health. My *good* cholesterol was excellent and the rest of the blood looked good. He pointed out my A1C levels were pretty high (~11.0) and my blood sugar levels were pretty terrible (~16.0). He was impressed and surprised that I was feeling so well.

We discussed what the next step would be, which was to make an appointment with a diabetes educator and dietitian. Unfortunately, their 'scheduling' system was down and they could not make an appointment until the following business day. They will call me back to arrange an appointment. When I got the call from the diabetes centre, the earliest appointment would be February 5th - so I have to wait.

The doctorb in the meanwhile prescribed me Metformin and 200 test strips and lancets and gave me a few more tidbits of information and off I went. Without any in-depth knowledge on of what I needed to do or what was to come. I went off to Shoppers Drug Mart to fill the prescriptions and get a blood-glucose monitor.

No comments: