Yes, my time as an unemployed bum is coming to a close. About a week ago I accepted an offer from another fruit company (or in Waterloo, the "other" fruit company). Apple offered me a position to work as a Software Development Engineer on their SIM technologies team!! Yes, Apple ... Woooooot!! The rumours are true. I'm going to California ...
First off, I would like to say this is all Bajar's fault. I had originally planned on staying local and only applying to local companies (Desire2Learn, Motorola, Aeryon, etc ...). But he convinced me that I cannot and should not limit my options to the area. Silicon Valley is the 'mecca' of technology and software development. He said, "Don't you want to see what else is out there?"
So, why am I doing this? There are several reasons why:
1. Fruit companies
When Research In Motion (RIM) decided to change their name to BlackBerry, I too decided that I will only work for fruit companies! There are only a limited number of fruit companies. So, my options became very limited:
- Tangerine: Canadian low-cost/no fee bank
- Orange: European cellular carrier
- BlackBerry: Trust me, I tried to get re-hired, they would have none of me
- Strawberry, Peach, Pear ... These are potential names for my startup if I fail at Apple
Since I had a lot of time off, Crystal and I decided its only fair for her to take some time off. Unfortunately, she cannot work in the U.S. so she will be taking some time off. It is only fair.
3. Matt L.
For more then a decade (with the exception of that 18 month experiment in Ottawa), I have lived no farther then a 1-hour car drive to Matt. He just moved to SF a few weeks ago, and it would just be weird being like a 5-hour plane ride away.
The biggest reason why I hate hippies so much is because I'm so jealous of them. There, I admitted it. Now I can turn into one! Must only eat organic certified foods! Vegetarianism! Maybe even veganism! Biking and public transit! Hippies like Apple right?
5. Cost Savings!
What? This doesn't make any sense ... but really it does! Although rent is like three times more then around here, but consider these things:
- I want to the 'Disney Coast-to-Coast' Marathon medal - moving to California just makes it slightly cheaper for one half of the trip
- Beer is so much cheaper down there - although it will have to be organic certified beer!
- 40 Chicken McNuggets for $29.99! I think it was $29.99, maybe its $19.99 I can't remember
- Summers in Cupertino are between 15 - 25 degrees. Winters are between 5 - 15. Who needs winter clothes!? Who needs heating or air conditioning? The hydro/gas bill has to be a fraction of what it is here
- Considering that a lot of "organic certified" foods come from California, I can only assume the cost of that food is so much more cheap!
- Target has actually good prices ... instead of the fake Target here
Yup, add all those cost savings up and they should really balance out that massive rent increase ... right? I have a degree in Mathematics, I can make the numbers work ... sure.
I can't find this chocolate bar in Canada ... its so tasty with its rice crisps and caramel goodness. Plus with a name like that, how can you go wrong!