Monday, April 07, 2014

Not a rockstar ... But a one-hit wonder ...

A few weeks ago, I went to a mandatory meeting. The meeting was quick and brutal. After 9 years and about 8 months, BlackBerry terminated my employment.  I use the word "terminated" because that's what it says in the form letter in my package.

Luckily for Crystal and I, we have been quietly preparing for this.  So, no one should really be worrying about us.  Even though that I had really thought it was impossible for BlackBerry to actually let me go. But the impossible had happened (Hmmm, I should have really bought a lottery ticket that day).

Now, I would like to say that while I am very disappointed I didn't actually get to 10 years.  I'm actually not bitter at BlackBerry.  I really do not think I could be.  I still have a lot of friends there and I still hang out with them. So, I cannot hate the company that it turned out to be a simply a cost-cutting move. I still have a BlackBerry (Q10) and I absolutely love it! I had been using a Z10 for the last couple of years ... but I hated the touchscreen keyboard. The Q10's keyboard is one of the best (it reminds me of the old Bold 9000 or the Torch).

One of the things that people first ask me is, "Is BlackBerry going to make it?"  I can't really say.  Most of the work I was involved with did not contribute to the future product roadmap - so I actually really do not know.  I hope they do "make it."  I don't think they will be a dominate player like they were a decade (or so) ago.  But I still believe that the company will exist in some fashion.

I've been unemployed for a few weeks now and thus have a lot of free time on my hands. So, I've been working on my puzzle, going to baseball games, and doing a lot of housework. I'm not sure when I will start looking for work, or what my new job will look like. I'm looking at this as an opportunity for me to figure what I actually want to do next ... but for now, there will probably be lots of puzzle updates. Stay tuned ... maybe I'll actually finish this monster of a puzzle!

1 comment:

Clayton Boucher said...

That some sad news... Their loss!

If you guys need anything, let us know!

--Clayton