Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Character ...

... As I was writing up my next book review, I had thought of what this disease or condition has done to me. I realize it shows the true character of someone. What they are made of and how much they can take. People react differently to their situation (sort of the basis of the book). Some people ignore and don't care about tight blood sugar control. They deal with the complications as they come up. Others do want to stay healthy because the complications are so scary that they don't want to burden others. It also has shown who truly cares for you. These people give you the time and space when you need it. They give you an ear when you need to talk to someone. They truly care for you. These are the people that I cannot let down. I feel if I don't get my body under control, then I will have let these people down. I cannot fail. I will not fail.

Diabetes has also showed that I have a blinding hope. Blinding hope that they will find a cure soon. Hope has been sky high ever since they've discovered insulin - and that was 80 years ago. For 80 years, people have said that a cure has been just around the corner. For 80 years, people's hopes have been raised and dashed. A new treatment here and there that cures diabetes in some animal - now just apply it to humans, never happens. Some people cannot take anymore; others continue to believe. I will believe, I have to believe, its the only way that I can keep on giving myself injections because I really hate needles. But with the light at the end of the tunnel, I know that I have one less injection I need to give myself.

If they invent the 'hypospray' from Star Trek ... that's a different story.

No comments: